Research interests: Depression and related psychopathology, supportive relationships; resilience and stress-resistance; self, identity, and agency; interface between social and clinical psychology; research methods
Grants and awards: Igal Alon Fellowship, Israeli Science Foundation Grant, National Institution of Psychobiology Grant, National Alliance for Schizophrenia and Depression Young Investigator Award, American Psychoanalytic Association Grant, International Psychoanalytic Association Grant, Yale Center for Interdisciplinary Study on Aids Grant
- Aggression, Conflict, Peace
- Applied Social Psychology
- Close Relationships
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Internet and Virtual Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
Research Group or Laboratory:
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Henrich, C. C., & Shahar, G. (in press). Social support buffers the effect of terrorism on adolescent depression: Findings from Sderot, Israel. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Gilat, I., & Shahar, G. (2007). Emotional aid in a suicidal crisis: Comparison of telephone and the internet. Psychiatry: Interpersonal & Biological Processes, 70, 12-18.
- Shahar, G., *Bareket, L., Rudd, D., & Joiner, T. E. (2006). In suicidal young adults, hopelessness, depression and suicidality constitute a single syndrome. Psychological Medicine, 36, 913-922.
- Shahar, G., Blatt, S. J., & Zuroff, D. C. (2007). Satisfaction with social relationships buffers against the adverse effect of (mid-level) self-critical perfectionism on outcome in brief treatment for depression. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 26, 540-555.
- Shahar, G., Blatt, S. J., Zuroff, D. C., Krupnick, J., & Sotsky, S. M. (2004). Perfectionism impedes social relations and response to brief treatment for depression. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology, 23, 140-154.
- Shahar, G., Blatt, S. J., Zuroff, D. C., & Pilkonis, P. A. (2003). Role of perfectionism and personality disorder features in patients’ responses to brief treatment for depression. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology, 71, 229-233.
- Shahar, G., Henrich, C. C., Blatt, S. J., Ryan, R. & Little, T. D. (2003). Interpersonal relatedness, self-definition, and their motivational orientation during adolescence: A theoretical and empirical integration. Developmental Psychology, 39, 470-483.
- Sheppes, G., Meiran, N., Gilboa-Shechtman, E., & Shahar, G. (2008). Cognitive mechanisms underlying implicit negative self concept in dysphoria. Emotion, 8, 386-394.
- Clinical Assessment
- Personality Psychology
- Research Methods: Individual Differences
Department of Psychology
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
84105 Beer Sheva
- Phone: 972-8-6472-057
- Fax: 972-8-6472-037